A person with systemically low blood glucose ( sugar) has hypoglycemia. Glucose is the body’s main energy source.
Hypoglycemia is not a disease itself, it is a result of underlying issue or combination of them.
• Trembling/ shakiness
• Heart palpitations
• Concentration problems
• Irrational and disorderly behaviour( similar to someone who is drunk)
• Loss of consciousness
Causes Of Hyperglycemia
• Skipping meals
• Exercises without proper food intaked
• An individual with diabetes and has taken too much insulin.
• Excessive alcohol consumption
• Tumour of the pancreas called insulinoma
• Lack of glucagon ( a hormone that is secreted from the pancreas that raises the blood glucose level
• Checking blood glucose level. Keep a regular check on blood sugar levels and identify the onset of symptoms
• Eat regularly. Keep to your eating routine
• Exercises. Make sure you have eaten come carbohydrate-rich food before you do any exercise.
• Be ready. Children with diabetes type 1 should always carry a container of fruit juice or candy bar so they are ready if symptoms are felt
• Let people know. If you are susceptible to attacks of hypoglycemia, let your friends, colleagues and family members know. Explain what the signs are and what should be done.
By: Amma Adutwumwaa (Medical Student)
Vitebsk State Medical University,Belarus